The Map Editor allows the viewing and modification of the map as well as the actors and
objects within it. The map screen consists of a map display and a speedbar containing a
set of basic options. These include:
- Selecton of the map level to edit
- Scaling factor - from 1/8 size to 3 times normal size
- Selection cursor. When active, allows selections within the map. The type of selection
is selected by the down arrow to the right of the button. These are: Ground, Objects, or
Actors. The two additional entries, Tiles and Chunks, selects when in Ground mode whether
it is chunks or individual tiles that are selected
- Zoom In and Out cursors - when these cursor are active, clicking anywhere on the
map scrolls in or out with the center focused on the clicked position. Right clicking will
do the reverse of the currently selected zoom function
- Show Details - when depressed, and the zoom factor is large enough, shows the chunk
number or tile numbers of each tile/chunk in use, depending on the currently selected
chunk/tile selection mode
- Show Objects - Toggles whether game objects within the map are displayed
- Show Actors - Toggles whether actors within the map are displayed
Within the map, selections can be draged-and-dropped to new locations. In addition, new
objects, ground tiles, or chunks can be dragged from their windows directly onto the map
to change it. Selecting entries on the map follows the standard selection methodology -
selecting an option automatically deselects any previous object, unless the Ctrl key is
held down whilst making the new selection. The shift key can also be used to select a
range of entries from the last selected position to the new position.
Likewise, the map editor also provides the standard Edit menu functionality for
copying, cutting, and pasting selections. Some following special conditions apply:
On a final note, when in object selection mode, double-clicking on an object has an effect
dependant on what kind of object it is. The following objects are treated specially:
- When copying or cutting multiple selections, all the selections are taken relative to
the item that had primary selection when the cut/copy occurs. So if, for example, you cut
three items in a horizontal line, with the right-most one being the primary selected item,
when you past the grouping elsewhere, the right-most item will be pasted onto the paste
position, with the others being posted to the left.
- When pasting a selection, you need to first select the position it will be pasted to.
This is done by clicking anywhere on the map. You will notice that the selected tile will
be highlighted, even if you are in Object or Actor selection mode. This is to show you
where any pasting will occur.
All other types will simply display the properties for the object. Some object types have a
custom properties dialog with extra information. An example is books, which have an extra field
showing the contents which are displayed when it is looked at.
- Container types - a container window is opened to show the contents of the object. This
includes any container type, including corpses, stone lions, spellbooks, and others
- Ladder types - You will be switched to the destination of the ladder
- Dungeon Entrance - As with ladders, you will be switched to the destination of the dungeon
When viewing a map, there will be a Tools menu with two options - Goto co-ordinates, and Search.
The first allows you to jump directly to a specified co-ordinate on the given map, either in
terms of tiles or chunks. The Search menu allows you to search for Tiles, Chunks, Objects, or
Actors with a given characteristic.